Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Lord Loves a Workin' Man.

Well, it's day three on my search. Still very excited about the opportunities out there. I know that someone is just waiting for a guy like me to come in an sweep them off their feet (or something like that). I am still very motivated to call everyone I can to uncover new opportunities.
I know that I should continuously refer back to scripture and meditate on verses that will assure me that God is in control - and I do. However, I can't keep from thinking back to a line from "The Jerk" when Steve Martin recited what his Dad (a poor black sharecropper) taught him. It was simply, "The Lord loves a Workin' Man." I know that this is a bit shallow, but God does love to see us be diligent in everything we do. If I am working hard on finding work, I know that he'll bless that. He knows my heart. He knows what I need. He knew that I'd be laid off long before I did. He is prepared for this and wants me to let him run with it. OK God. Here you go! It's all yours.
I am still stunned and overwhelmed at all of the great people (some of whom I haven't spoken to in years) that are sending me contacts of people who are looking to hire or recruiters who might be able to help. Thanks to everyone.
Yesterday, my pastor asked me to have lunch with him. He was very encouraging. He assured me that things will turn out fine if I trust in God. It was a great time with him. We have been friends since the beginning of the church. But, the church got big and continues to grow. It's been a great time watching the progress of our little "house" church. The only problem with the growth is that Ross (my pastor) is so busy "tending his flock" that it's hard to hang out with him any more. I love him and still consider him a friend, but spending time with him is rare. I was very happy to spend a couple of hours with him. Anyway, while waiting for him at the church yesterday, a very dear friend, Melissa, was at the church waiting for someone and this gave us time to talk. She too, was very encouraging. She said something that was very sweet. She said, "I want you to know that I'll still be there for you in 3 weeks." She explained that people will pour out their love and prayers for the first few days becuase we are fresh on their mind, but that they will soon go back to their lives and forget. (this is not a slight on any of my friends. It's just way people are. Me included). But, she said that she'll wait for the first line of friends to subside and fall in behind and pick up the ball and run. That was very sweet. But, you know, I'll bet that we have friends that will keep us in their prayers until we are back on our feet. We have unusual friends in that, they love us so much that they will not forget.
Well, back to work. I have a busy day ahead of me.
Remember - "The Lord loves a workin' man."

No comments: